Practical skills, techniques and behavioural models for leading people and teams in the public sector.
Very middle-manager-y, but some useful patterns for both applying and working within.
- Leading teams
- Communicating effectively
- Performance conversations
- Managing for performance
- Managing change
Model that segments the following leadership styles
- Directing - tell people what to do and how to do it.
- Coaching - provide direction but attempt to sell the idea to get people on board.
- Supporting - focus on relationships and less on providing direction. Work with the team and share decision-making responsibilities
- Delegating - leaders delegate most of the responsibility to the group. Monitor progress but less involved in decision-making.
These are then applied based on the relative maturity of the team:
- Low maturity
- Medium maturity, limited skills
- Medium maturity, higher skills but lacking confidence
- High maturity
Five stages of in a team life cycle